- Smarter cities & construction
- Strengthening & protective applications
- Water repellents
Sustainable silicone waterproofing protection for all buildings
Providing long-term hydrophobic protection for building masonry and façades
Water that penetrates mineral construction materials – brick, stone, concrete, cement cladding, granite, marble – is a primary cause of damage in all types of buildings. Not only does moisture and dampness weaken the structure and affect the appearance of the building, it also facilitates the formation of mildew and moss, the penetration of chemicals (e.g. through acid rains), and is an accelerator of dirt pickup. Water-soaked minerals also reduce the insulating action of masonry and affect energy efficiency by reducing the positive effects of their porosity and cause heat loss due to evaporation.
Silicone-based water-repellent products offer technical solutions for masonry protection of different materials because they create a highly durable and deep-seated water-proof barrier, while maintaining the breathability and porosity of the surface material. This is achieved by impregnating silicone solutions at various levels of dilution into the materials to form a monomolecular layer inside the capillaries so that the surface becomes waterproof, without clogging the porosity and therefore with no modification of the intrinsic functional and aesthetic features of the material.
Silicones further reinforce structural performance and can also be formulated to improve soundproofing or insulation.
Why are Elkem BLUESIL™ products the ideal material for efficient and sustainable waterproofing and repellency?
Elkem has been working with the construction industry for over 50 years and has developed an extended BLUESIL™ product range of hydrophobic silicone construction products for all building materials and variable atmospheric conditions.
To reinforce its portfolio, Elkem recently acquired Basel Chemie, a renowned South Korean producer of silicone coatings and water repellents. Since then, the teams from both companies have worked collaboratively on the expansion of the BLUESILTM range, which has already led to the launch of several new products for high-performance coatings and water repellents.
Our range of BLUESIL™ water-repellent products provide the following features and functionalities:
- Unparalleled water absorption protection due to deep penetration and strong bonding to substrates to treat a great variety of materials, from sandstone to granite, via brick, stone, etc.
- Easy to apply using rollers or spraying to ensure full coverage
- Beading effect to evacuate water as quickly as possible
- Outstanding resistance to environmental effects (freezing, thawing, extreme heat, UV, etc.)
- High durability generating maintenance cost savings
- Excellent resistance to acid rains and pollutants
- Optimized thermal insulation
- Preservation of initial characteristics in terms of aesthetics and breathability
- Added protection against efflorescence, algae, fungi and mildew development, as well as dirt pickup
- Safe and non-toxic formulations that protect installers and users and comply with the strictest regulations
Why choose Elkem to provide the right materials and backup services for building protection?
We have over 50 years of experience in providing effective and innovative silicone building protection solutions to all segments of the construction industry in dozens of countries worldwide. Elkem expert teams know the specifics of each material and the differing needs in this very diversified field.
Bluesil™ products: reliable for a long lasting protection
Elkem is part of the Elkem Group, a fully-integrated global silicone manufacturer, mastering the full value chain from quartz to specialty silicones. Our R&D facilities and our collaborative partnership with Basel Chemie allow us to manufacture and develop our full range of hydrophobic products, including siloxane-based formulations, thinners and primers that can be used for all mineral materials, as well as wood.
We always strive for operational excellence, help to reduce costs, energy consumption and waste, while ensuring safety for people on construction sites, all of which contribute to bringing down Total Cost of Operations. Other services also include regulatory support, assistance to roll out productivity programs, training for teams and collaborative work on new developments.