A safe and healthy working environment and promotion of labour rights are key social priorities Elkem. Elkem focuses on and invests in training and competence development of our employees, as well as promoting a culture of involvement, diversity and equality. Elkem considers skilled and dedicated employees as the basis for success.
Health and safety
Health and safety are always our first priority. We do not accept that our processes cannot be run without injuries and therefore base our operations on a zero-harm philosophy. The protection of health and safety covers all people working at all Elkem locations.
A strong health and safety culture is the essence of our licence to operate. Elkem employees, and contractors working on Elkem property are expected to be fully committed to a safe and healthy workplace, and to minimise the effects of our operations on the environment
We show our commitment by:
- Having clearly defined responsibilities and accepting accountability for EHS at all levels of the organisation.
- Always prioritising individual health and safety when choices have to be made.
- Setting ambitious goals and striving for continuous improvement in EHS.
- Using the same EHS systems, tools and methods, and having the same expectations to EHS performance wherever we operate around the world
Health and safety targets
- Zero total recordable injury rate (TRIR)
- Ensure reporting of all first aid injures
- Ensure reporting of all high-risk incidents (HRI)
- Zero work related illness
Elkem does not accept any behaviour that conflicts with basic human rights including any form of harassment, discrimination, threatening or inappropriate behaviour. The organisation embraces the dignity of all human beings and respect human rights. At the core of this is including freedom of association, right to collective bargaining, and avoiding the use of forced or child labour.
Respect for human rights is one of Elkem’s values. The group is fully committed to avoid complicity in human rights abuses, and to respect, protect and promote human rights throughout our operations in accordance with the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights and other relevant frameworks.
The Human Rights policy protects the rights of the employees and the stakeholders that are specifically vulnerable to our activities. Elkem strongly commends human trafficking of any kind, as a breach of basic human rights.
Elkem fully endorses employees’ freedom of association and collective bargaining rights. These rights give employees the ability to influence changes and find solutions together with their employer. Elkem also supports efforts for supplier’s employees to associate and information about these rights and obligations are found in contractual agreements and our Code of conduct for business partners.
- Zero tolerance of behaviour that conflict with basic human rights
- Zero tolerance of any form of harassment, discrimination, threatening or inappropriate behaviour
- All employees to receive annual development discussions with closes leader
- Report on employees covered by bargaining agreements
- Report on incidents of child and forced labour in Elkem or supply chain
Our stakeholder dialogue is based on respect for individuals, society, and the environment. Maintaining contact with the various stakeholders helps Elkem understand the role we play in local communities and society at large, as well as building long term, mutual trust.
For more information about our community engagement and dialogue, please have a look at this page.